Skip to main content

The Hunt for Red October, November and December

 Is it just me or are films duller than they used to be?

 I'm of course not saying all films, oh no; but certainly most. It has been a very long time since I've seen a film that had me gripping the edge of my seat; and I'm not talking horror because most horror films make me actually leave my seat, never to return. For the first time, I recently watched The Hunt for Red October (1990) which I had never seen before nor watched the trailer for. I was astounded by the stellar cast which was all male. It didn't bother me though because all that testosterone pumping didn't diminish the film by a long shot. In fact, I'm glad the cast was all male, there weren't any funny jokes directed toward women and it didn't matter there was no love story. I find in many films with a heavily male cast; can be downgraded by adding in parts or characters that have no business being there. I know we are living in a society now where movies, films, and stories are more inclusive, but if there were no women on board the submarines in History then don't add them for inclusivities' sake. History isn't always about righting past wrongs, it's just about rereading the story. Anyways, Red October was phenomenal and after watching the film I found they only won one academy award for sound editing. I mean the sound editing was good and all that, but I thought the thrill of the story and the acting was actually quite amazing. I think it's hard to base movies on academy awards nowadays, especially with the debacle of the pandemic. Which created a slew of unearthly horrible films and some good ones, but because of sickness, no one went to the theaters. I was definitely surprised when west side story got some nods, as the original is far superior. 

I would say the story of Red October, is pretty original and the thrill of the chase is quite good. I also found the feeling of unease very prolific in the film and kept you guessing throughout. We as an audience flip-flopped through each scenario dissecting every facial twitch, the moment of silence and clock ticking for the torpedo to strike us. sure the CGI was pretty bad, that's 90's computers for you. the music was thrilling enough and most of the film takes place either in the submarine or outside in the water. It felt tight and claustrophobic like we were actually in the submarine. being able to transport an audience into the film is a rarity for me. It's odd watching films about Russia when the news nowadays is filled with their antics. It's reassuring though that maybe movies are following along with the designated program of what we call history in many respects. 


Historical references 78%  the abyss 6/10  pinging 9.1

maritime information πŸ›₯πŸ›₯πŸ›₯πŸ›₯πŸ›₯πŸ›₯πŸ›₯πŸ›₯ (8)






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Diggers (2006) The process of finding something you were never looking for to begin with.

 A few months ago I watched the movie Diggers. Afterward it stuck in my mind like a song that would not leave. Spoilers here so don't read on if you like being spoiled.  Do you have the feeling that an outfit of choice just doesn't work. Like you picked everything out and it looked good in the mirror, but as soon as you left the house you feel lop-sided. The shoes are the wrong color or your sweater is too bulky, something is amiss but you can't quite put your finger on it. You go about your day wondering, but you never know. Diggers is like that. Well that went straight to the point. No, really I didn't mean to to do that, but heres a more in depth perception of the mismatched outfit Diggers portrays.  The movie starts off in a little town in Long Island. Small fisherman go out and dig for clams in 1976. Paul Rudd plays one of the main characters who seems aimless in his life, as he has no connection to his father and his sisters. He likes taking photographs, but doesn

The Laundromat (2019) VS Space Truckers (1996)

I'm posting this question, as an exercise in writing. Can two none relatable movies relate to each other? Or is it better not to force two things that are separate from each other into a predicament that could cause pain and possibly certain death. Like telling me mayo goes great on everything! I highly doubt this, but I'm sure there are  people in the world just heaping dollops on mayonnaise on unsuspecting banana splits like whipped cream.   I recently did a double feature with my boyfriend, and after the second film I completely forgot the first. The first one is less strenuous in its special effects than the second by a few bars. We watched The Laundromat on Netflix. A in depth money laundering movie that explained the process of how to become a millionaire with offshore accounts rather than by the books via Money Laundering for Dummies. The movie starts off with a tragic accident and through insurance claims, we find out the insurance is a fraud and is trying to defraud th

Throw Mamma from the Train (1987): Danny DeVito brilliance

 Ever wonder if an actor can portray more than one character? I think we lump actors into categories. Some actors are always the prefect villain while others can't do anything, but super hero mode. For a long time I thought Danny DeVito could only play one characters or an emulsion of a few, none the less one. If you were to lump his characters together the recipe would be as follows. Danny DeVito iced coffee: Take 1 cup of sarcasm and scrape off the foam, make sure to cool gently before serving. Mix sarcasm and 2/3rds cup begrudgingly dark roasted attitude until fully frothed and skim the froth off this one as well, so that you are left with the smoothest taste of deeze nutz or beans, if your using actual coffee. Then Pour this mixture into a tall glass with ice and serve with your milk of choice. Garnish with a paper umbrella because if your'e serving Danny DeVito iced coffee it might as well be fancy.  Before I go further, I have to be clear, I have not seen every DeVito mov