Skip to main content

The Laundromat (2019) VS Space Truckers (1996)

I'm posting this question, as an exercise in writing. Can two none relatable movies relate to each other? Or is it better not to force two things that are separate from each other into a predicament that could cause pain and possibly certain death. Like telling me mayo goes great on everything! I highly doubt this, but I'm sure there are  people in the world just heaping dollops on mayonnaise on unsuspecting banana splits like whipped cream.  

I recently did a double feature with my boyfriend, and after the second film I completely forgot the first. The first one is less strenuous in its special effects than the second by a few bars. We watched The Laundromat on Netflix. A in depth money laundering movie that explained the process of how to become a millionaire with offshore accounts rather than by the books via Money Laundering for Dummies. The movie starts off with a tragic accident and through insurance claims, we find out the insurance is a fraud and is trying to defraud the nonfraudulent. Basically, David Schwimmer paid for cheap insurance and got cheap results. The movie portrays little vignettes for each part of their step-by-step guide in how to not get caught. Although by the end you're just begging Antonio Banderas and Gary Oldman to hang up their fancy suits and put on striped pajamas. It was a smooth movie, the characters sailed along and their material was easy to digest. It wasn't groundbreaking, I didn't learn anything new. The movie is based upon a real story and the fact of the matter is the story probably is not the first and wont be the last. People are still setting up shell accounts for hermit crabs everywhere! (crab joke) No seriously though, for someone who doesn't know what money laundering entails or how far back it can stretch, it is a good watch. Meryl Streep does an interesting accent with a fake butt and I'm still satisfied by her ingenious acting prowess. 

Now for the second film, we left Netflix behind and started checking out titles on Prime. After about the 7th title I spotted something on the far left and begged him, literally begged him to click on it. The fact of the matter is I had not seen it since I was a kid, maybe 11 years old. Ya know how movies are when you're a kid though right? Even the bad ones are golden, they shine like a beacon of hope through puberty and restless teenage angst. Anyways my boyfriend had never seen Space Truckers so in my mind I felt like I was doing him a favor in pronouncing it's GREAT! Quite literally it was, but in a different light now that I'm 35 and can see the strings holding up the fake zero-gravity space station. The movie doesn't hold up for special effects 25 years after it's release. However I would say the make-up is still spot on and the absence of actual blood is kind of a plus. Think less ALIEN and more SPACE BALLS. In fact, after the movie that's just what my BF said, it would have been better if they embraced the comedy more in this film and went the spaceball route rather than trying to mold sci-fi, comedy and drama into one. Dennis Hopper is the lead in this film however his character is underwhelming as he doesn't take the lead with gumption. I'm used to seeing his acting contain some sort of surly, ex-military man with a huge chip on his shoulder, the kind of chip that cannot ever be filled. Most of the film is easy to guess, the timing of the deaths, who will survive the shootout, who will end up together in a steamy rocket. I wonder when Debbie Mazar signed her contract it said: You will be wearing underwear for most of the movie, but then you get to kick some ass at the end. It is funny where it needs to be, but there's no real drama, and the times you look for it, it's more fleeting than a shooting star. 

Now the question, can these two movies line up in some way? I think yes, although maybe not in the way you expect. I would say they are portrayed well not A+, but not flunking out. The dialogue is good and they get to the end of the story without much fuss. You leave thinking that was fun, but I wont be doing it again anytime soon. Space Truckers delivers no real ending, the future is unknown and the life they lead has a low mortality rate and low wages. Dennis Hopper will always be a trucker, you know he's not doing anything else in space and that Debbie Mazar will always be a sexy waitress. Their characters are set in stone. In the Laundromat money laundering will always occur. It's never going to stop. Both movies are selling you something, fake cash and real cash, a promise of way to get to the cash. The sad part is, no one ever gets the cash.

The laundromat (2019) 6/10 for attention seeking, 8.5 overall watchability,  Casting 8, scene believability 56%, movie ticket price $11.99 office supplies ratingπŸ“ŽπŸ“ŽπŸ“ŽπŸ“Ž πŸ“ŽπŸ“ŽπŸ“Ž (7)

Space Truckers (1996) 23% stupidity, 48% likability, 29 hotdogs, sexy non explicit outfits 8.7 junk food ratingπŸ•πŸ•πŸ•πŸ•πŸ• (5)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Diggers (2006) The process of finding something you were never looking for to begin with.

 A few months ago I watched the movie Diggers. Afterward it stuck in my mind like a song that would not leave. Spoilers here so don't read on if you like being spoiled.  Do you have the feeling that an outfit of choice just doesn't work. Like you picked everything out and it looked good in the mirror, but as soon as you left the house you feel lop-sided. The shoes are the wrong color or your sweater is too bulky, something is amiss but you can't quite put your finger on it. You go about your day wondering, but you never know. Diggers is like that. Well that went straight to the point. No, really I didn't mean to to do that, but heres a more in depth perception of the mismatched outfit Diggers portrays.  The movie starts off in a little town in Long Island. Small fisherman go out and dig for clams in 1976. Paul Rudd plays one of the main characters who seems aimless in his life, as he has no connection to his father and his sisters. He likes taking photographs, but doesn

The Hunt for Red October, November and December

 Is it just me or are films duller than they used to be?  I'm of course not saying all films, oh no; but certainly most. It has been a very long time since I've seen a film that had me gripping the edge of my seat; and I'm not talking horror because most horror films make me actually leave my seat, never to return. For the first time, I recently watched The Hunt for Red October (1990) which I had never seen before nor watched the trailer for. I was astounded by the stellar cast which was all male. It didn't bother me though because all that testosterone pumping didn't diminish the film by a long shot. In fact, I'm glad the cast was all male, there weren't any funny jokes directed toward women and it didn't matter there was no love story. I find in many films with a heavily male cast; can be downgraded by adding in parts or characters that have no business being there. I know we are living in a society now where movies, films, and stories are more inclusi

Knives in, glass out

 Not all movies should be series, and some series should just be one movie. Whether it be the story, the director, or the budget, there's always a difference between the first, last, and middle, and inevitably that's where the train gets derailed.  When Knives out was first displayed on my Prime video screen in 2019, I was startled by the wonderful cast, including Christopher Plummer and some other favorites. This was Plummer's last film before he died and apt too, spoiler ahead...He dies in this film, but with such panache, it's easy to remember why he was one of the greats. the subtleties of Knives Out were its an ode to unusual murder mysteries such as Clue. Although I would say Clue is not as subtle as Knives out in comedy. The film was directed by Rian Johnson who also directed its sequel or series next chapter, Glass onion. In this instance, Knives out is better, even though Johnson directs both and includes a stellar cast. There is something missing in the second