Skip to main content

10 best Sci-Fi films from 2010-2020

 First off this is just my opinion and in order to write this properly I think I should include my own rules, My own nutritional facts. let me preface I haven't seen all the science fiction movies ever made, though I'm making my way there. To me, science fiction whether based on a book, story, or game or rooted in actual fiction films would have some shared elements. Even if films are dramatic, humorous, romantic, or plain old crazy. In any film, I look to see what holds the film together, the story, characters/actors, script, scenery, and soundtrack. I hope that at least all the bases are covered. but most of the time it's only a few. The script is often non-negotiable unless there's wiggle room which is often found in comedies and less in other genres. Sometimes the script is fine or better than fine, but the characters/actors try too hard or fall behind that even if the script is good no one can actually save it. For science fiction, it could literally be a silent film and if the actors act their butts off it can be better filmed than the academy award-winning movies set up against it. 

Sci-fi however fills other criteria that many films do not. Most romance and comedies do not have ray guns. So my nutritional facts will be a bit different. I'm still including story because you need that for any film, and I'm still including characters. The scenery is half and half CGI, nowadays you can't have sci-fi without it. The soundtrack is still super important and the script is as well, so that's five criteria. I'm including my overall nutritional facts score as well. Because, well why not. 

Of all the genres there are I do enjoy sci-fi and fantasy the most.  That is why this list is small. I wanted to find each film on this list to portray a different story. I love all if not most films and I try to try things that are usually not my norm. To enjoy sci-fi you have to be able to embrace a number of irrational ideas. If anything sci-fi has taught me, is that the weirder it is the better it is.

1. Arrival (2016)

Arrival is a must-see in more ways than one. Surreal in its portrayal of science meets science fiction. It is more believable than most films of the day with the subject matter of aliens and unknown worlds in hand. One thing about this film is the score carried you along in an unending love story between time, matter, and the observance of the likability of human nature. Like many science fiction movies, the music is either an afterthought or too lovey-dovey with an onslaught of rock and roll which can be more tiresome than humorous. Arrival is poetic in its score which ebbs and flows through the acting and story. Even when you might not be surprised by a particular outcome the soundtrack reels you back and pushes you.


There are many similarities between Arrival, Interstellar, The Martian, and Inception, but where the latter falls flat in its chorus of overpaid actors and raucous endeavors, Arrival moves us forward ultimately encasing us like the cacoon of many alien pictures. We aren't burdened by overzealous beings trying to kill us and restore power and neither are we worried that at some point the good guy will turn out to be a masked murderer in disguise.

All sounds aside,  Arrival is a more daring film than I think many think. It questions more and gives out less. I find many science fiction movies to give out too much information in a short time period. Often you are bombarded by death and death rays and ray guns and so on. Arrival's aliens are almost genteel. Humans are wrought with worry and sadness and many times I wondered if I was in a wakeful depressive dream; but not a bad dream regardless. I like that the film keeps you wanting more action or intrigue because it warrants a good story and an unlikely outcome. The more you want it the better it is.


Story 5, characters 5, script 5 scenery 5 soundtrack 5

Overall score: believability 93%, time travel itinerary 7/8 parts per million, fog factor 8.2

clocks per second ⏰⏰⏰⏰⏰⏰⏰⏰⏰ (9.5)



2. Interstellar (2014)

Matthew McConaughey is one of those actors who can just about play anything. I say just about because he never loses his southern swagger. The charm that drew us to him initially in comedic romance films. This film is not the exception in that matter as even when he's serious we are reminded of his playful nature and can imagine him talking to us like one of his many loves. He carries interstellar magnificently and the connection between the other characters even AI is perfect. The interconnecting stories between the other actors mirror each other in drama and correspond to create a tighter union between cast/script and story. Which by the way is as original as it gets. We are so often confronted with sci-fi that either happens on earth with the invasion of aliens (Arrival) or the exploration of possible aliens out in space. Interstellar though not about finding aliens so to speak, open's up the viewer to the notions of connection without looking for it. that space is just the final frontier as Kirk would say. Time, AI, and family play heavily in this film, the last of which adds to the warmth of the story and can net a wider audience; but with the charm of McConaughey, why would you even rely on that. 

story 5, characters 5, script 4.5, scenery 5, soundtrack 4.5 

Overall score: friendly robots 88% hostile environments 7/10, learning curveball 8.2

wristwatch story ⌚⌚⌚⌚⌚⌚⌚⌚⌚ (9)

3. Okja (2017)

Okja doesn't follow the norm of most of the sci-fi film's on this list and that is why it deserves a place, the weirder the better, remember. It verges on drama, political references, and the knowledge of the change through change. It leaves you wanting more, however. You become engrossed in the plight of the main character and as immersive as you feel afterward it doesn't last. Tilda Swinton can play comedy like an old friend and drama like a force to be reckoned with. There's conflict around every corner even after the curtains draw to a close. The sci-fi element is embedded in a likely source, "the creature." who by any account is accounted for in casting. However, the future element gives this film reference material like Soylent Green or the Fifth Element. We hope that the future doesn't rely so heavily on mass-produced animal bi-products but we can only assume we might be headed in that direction regardless. 

story 4.5, characters 5, script 4, scenery 4.5 soundtrack 4.5

overall score: hypothetical realism 79%, Cruella DeVille partnership 8, Comedic notions 7/10, 1st world problems 7.2

hippo force ๐Ÿฆ›๐Ÿฆ›๐Ÿฆ›๐Ÿฆ›๐Ÿฆ›๐Ÿฆ›๐Ÿฆ›๐Ÿฆ› (8)


4. Rogue One a Star Wars Story (2016)

You can't have a sci-fi list without one Star Wars movie, unless it's a decade with the Phantom menace debacle. Rogue One, falls in between the first Star Wars trilogy in terms of its storyline, and in tune with those great films, it falls just where it wants to. It's not overdone with CGI or overplayed with epic fight scenes. It actually encapsulates enough that where we know where we have headed afterward; obviously binge-watch all the movies. Rogue one also does not follow the full norm of most of Star Wars stories. If you can name one that doesn't do this I'll be flabbergasted. All the star wars films have a love element or romantic vibe. It might not be present in the beginning but it sure makes its presence known. Rogue One does not do this and in the end when the characters are seemingly "in love." The audience is tricked. The love we think we see is the truth of the character in that, wouldn't you want someone to hold knowing it's your last day or hour to be alive. Their love doesn't last so it's not part of the movie, sweeping us away in its embrace. Their fight, the struggle, the rage, and the feeling of accomplishment leave us fulfilled more than a last first kiss ever could. 

story 4.5, characters 5, script 4, scenery 4, soundtrack 4.5 

Overall score: relatable aspect to its predecessors 8, bad guys/good guys ratio 78%, historical aspect 7.5

Star studs⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ (7.5)


5. Prometheus (2012)

Let me say, I'm not much into horror, I can stand a little thrill, but blood and guts are not my cup of tea, however, Prometheus is. I thoroughly enjoyed this film and have since watched it multiple times, criss-crossing layers of ingenuity and intrigue. Yes, it is based on the Alien phenomena and does play into the role of a series. However, it's done so well I really don't mind. The story is also pretty straightforward, and you're not left with any fully underestimated conflicts verse resolutions. It doesn't wow me in the storyline, but I will say the character dynamics, drama, humanity, and emotions are very well done. so even if the film is lacking in some areas, the actors hold it together in others. 

story 3.5, characters 5, script 3.5, scenery 4, soundtrack 4

overall score: staying in your lane 7.5, AI intelligence 71%, basic martial arts, green belt

Forbidden planet hotel stay ๐Ÿš€๐Ÿš€๐Ÿš€๐Ÿš€๐Ÿš€๐Ÿš€๐Ÿš€ (7.5)

6. Super 8 (2011)

Sure most films could be watched by any age group, but we can leave Prometheus for those over 17. Super 8 begs to differ as its strong cast of children,  shines bright for those wishing for a film to harken them back to the ET moments of our yester years. It's no surprise it's produced by Steven Spielberg.  Watching a film that's part thriller, part science, part adventure, but through a child's eyes is super satisfying. The element of the unknown sits high in this film and doesn't hurt the cast or the story. It does however lurk in unsuspecting places and the drama that unfolds because of it further pushes the story for the characters rather than tethering it to a specific genre. Super 8 fills lots of checks on my list, the only downside is the length. Many of the scenes in the film are wrought with raw energy which dissipates quickly and in many respects, I think this film could do with a longer intro or length of the story, think Stranger things. Child actors as they are, are not always the best, and some adult actors can be more burdensome than helpful. Steven knows how to pick them for sure, Super 8 doesn't fail, I just wish there were more like it. 

story 4, characters 3.5, script 4, scenery 4, soundtrack 4

overall score: I'll be home for supper script 72%, kid brigade 8/12, 

film school dropout score ๐ŸŽฅ๐ŸŽฅ๐ŸŽฅ๐ŸŽฅ๐ŸŽฅ๐ŸŽฅ ๐ŸŽฅ(7)


7. Inception (2010)

Inception is good, but is certainly not the best.  In many scenes I find the acting lacking almost as if too much acting with a green screen has skewed the world and brain more than the rehearsals ever could. There's always one person on cue while the rest struggle below gasping for air where there is none. The effects are amazing however and even though you know that I know that you know that it's made up, its hard not to forget. 2010-2020 was not a great decade for science fiction, but good for the ones that were original enough to skirt by such as Inception. It's an easy film to watch and more easily understood than Gravity or Arrival. In its shortcomings, I only see issues with individual actors and the lack of sincerity written in their overpaid faces.  

story 4, characters 3.5, script 3, scenery 4.5, soundtrack 4

overall score: backdrop 8:8 ratio, dreamscape scenery 4/10, character HR 17%

recruitment intake forms: ✅✅✅✅✅✅ (6.5)

8. Fast Color (2018)

Dystopian is a word I hear often and a genre of movies I see often. I could probably make another movie list that just included the best dystopian films and Fast Color would land there as well. I believe it is overlooked in the sci-fi world because it isn't as pungent or punchy as some of the other movies on this list. But it is better that it isn't. Subtly the film subdues our thoughts on the world ending and helps us to navigate the unending world of being different, but how our differences matter in the end. This film is very similar to Interstellar in the way the director and characters play so well with each other. This film lacks good special effects, that's why it doesn't rank as high on my list. The CGI that is incorporated is mildly done compared to high-octane films like Dune or Inception. The CGI really feels cheap. And even though we are supposed to focus more on the family dynamics and the drama that settles there, the sci-fi element is too soft for my liking. I would still encourage you to watch it, if you haven't it will certainly lead you down a new path of enlightenment. 

story 4, characters 4.5, script 3, scenery 3, soundtrack 3

overall score: scorched earth/scorched heart 8.1, embedded regret 33%, super powers/super flaws 6/10

magic hands: ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘ (6)


9. Ex Machina (2014)

Ex Machina doesn't fall far up on my list and only for two reasons. It's a sci-fi sub-genre that is severely overplayed and it doesn't fill up my mind like many of the ones that have come before it. Ex Machina falls into the subcategory of robots taking over the world, AI, and so on, And to just name a few that have a similar premise we could be here for hours. The parts I like about Ex Machina blend and blur the lines between human characteristics and what we think we can create human intelligence to coincide. It's a journey into the anxiety-ridden world of love, partnership, greed, and vanity. It is more thriller than horror and more romance than science at times and watching it makes you feel like you want to be there. Though you know better. The ending feels less dramatic than it actually is and even though it was a good movie, it was a one-and-done for me. 

story 4, characters 3, script 3, scenery 3, soundtrack 2
overall score: insanity scale 6.3, calm world crazy house 5/10, cardboard robot makeup 67%
metal hands: ๐Ÿงค๐Ÿงค๐Ÿงค๐Ÿงค๐Ÿงค (5.8)

10. Valerian the City of a Thousand Planets (2017)

I know there are better choices than this film, but hear me for a second before you completely dismiss everything I've already said. This film is nowhere near good, but where it lacks it makes up for creativity, humor, and downright crazy. No one is the perfect actor in this film and no one meshes well, so character and script are completely thrown out the window at this point. I could have put guardians of the galaxy in this last spot, but I don't think this list is made for it. Guardians are part of the epic fantasy, sci-fi drama battle between Marvel and DC and you can't include those enemies on a list such as this. This film is more magical to watch as a low-fi playlist, I suggest taking a look at Alien worlds on Netflix and you'll see the similarities. In fact, I'd go as far to say this film could be dubbed by David Attenborough and no one would be the wiser. As we know not all films are great when they are based on books or comics, like this one and we shouldn't hold it to honor something that is far better than itself. Valerian honors something else entirely, someone's trippy experiences and the result of which lands you here. 

story 3, characters 2, script 1.5,  scenery 4, soundtrack 3

overall score: driving skills 33%, hand-holding 4/9, junk food ratio 54.4

Alien Fauna: ๐Ÿฅ€๐Ÿฅ€๐Ÿฅ€๐Ÿฅ€ (4.3)


Now I'm sure many of you reading this would say the last choice is irregular by any accounts and normally I would say you are right, cause you are. However, I wanted this list to be as comprehensive as possible and I wanted to include as many different genres as possible. Not discounting bad but visually pleasing films is one of those things I thought about while making this list. Now I would of put Gravity (2013) and the Martian (2015) in this list however, The Martian is too similar in my opinion to Interstellar and Gravity follows in the same regard. They were still both very good films. Though Gravity in my opinion is far less sci-fi than all three.  I tried picking films that resonated in me, or films I've watched more than once and just stuck around like a song in my head I couldn't get rid of. The films at the top of this I have seen more than once and plan to watch again when I can. The films at the bottom, I have watched a few times. However, most of them will start collecting dust soon. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Diggers (2006) The process of finding something you were never looking for to begin with.

 A few months ago I watched the movie Diggers. Afterward it stuck in my mind like a song that would not leave. Spoilers here so don't read on if you like being spoiled.  Do you have the feeling that an outfit of choice just doesn't work. Like you picked everything out and it looked good in the mirror, but as soon as you left the house you feel lop-sided. The shoes are the wrong color or your sweater is too bulky, something is amiss but you can't quite put your finger on it. You go about your day wondering, but you never know. Diggers is like that. Well that went straight to the point. No, really I didn't mean to to do that, but heres a more in depth perception of the mismatched outfit Diggers portrays.  The movie starts off in a little town in Long Island. Small fisherman go out and dig for clams in 1976. Paul Rudd plays one of the main characters who seems aimless in his life, as he has no connection to his father and his sisters. He likes taking photographs, but doesn

The Hunt for Red October, November and December

 Is it just me or are films duller than they used to be?  I'm of course not saying all films, oh no; but certainly most. It has been a very long time since I've seen a film that had me gripping the edge of my seat; and I'm not talking horror because most horror films make me actually leave my seat, never to return. For the first time, I recently watched The Hunt for Red October (1990) which I had never seen before nor watched the trailer for. I was astounded by the stellar cast which was all male. It didn't bother me though because all that testosterone pumping didn't diminish the film by a long shot. In fact, I'm glad the cast was all male, there weren't any funny jokes directed toward women and it didn't matter there was no love story. I find in many films with a heavily male cast; can be downgraded by adding in parts or characters that have no business being there. I know we are living in a society now where movies, films, and stories are more inclusi

Knives in, glass out

 Not all movies should be series, and some series should just be one movie. Whether it be the story, the director, or the budget, there's always a difference between the first, last, and middle, and inevitably that's where the train gets derailed.  When Knives out was first displayed on my Prime video screen in 2019, I was startled by the wonderful cast, including Christopher Plummer and some other favorites. This was Plummer's last film before he died and apt too, spoiler ahead...He dies in this film, but with such panache, it's easy to remember why he was one of the greats. the subtleties of Knives Out were its an ode to unusual murder mysteries such as Clue. Although I would say Clue is not as subtle as Knives out in comedy. The film was directed by Rian Johnson who also directed its sequel or series next chapter, Glass onion. In this instance, Knives out is better, even though Johnson directs both and includes a stellar cast. There is something missing in the second